11/05/2009

How does one start a policy institute?

I have been contemplating on advancing my academics for some time now. It's been a battle between two very different directions. I won't get into the detail, but I've come to the decision. As this blog shows, I'm fascinated by public policy so it is natural that I would want to pursue something along those lines. Public Administration with a focus on public policy seems an avenue that will help me become more confident in presenting my ideas. But what excites me the most is the prospect of learning to effectively research and present data to support the policy ideas.

We all have wonderful ideas that we believe will help in some way. But it needs more than an idea, it needs a stepping stone. The foundation of that step needs to be sturdy enough to handle some abuse. In the debate arena, an idea needs to hold up against all scrutiny. Using empirical data via research is key to withstand the assaults. Thus, learning the theories and ideas about data gathering is required of me to effectively become a policy institute (can it just have one person???). Hopefully I will soon step backing the academic world to move this institute forward.

Once that becomes a reality, I'll need some fellow data miners (who love numbers and stats, obviously) who want to join together to push out common ideas. Who knows where it ends up, but I would be proud to say that I tried to make a difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment